Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It takes a village

We went to visit my family in Florida for two and half weeks (thanks mom and dad!) and just got back home this past weekend.  I learned something while I was there....  it really does take a village to raise a child.  And not just any village, but one comprised of your extended family.  There were always extra arms to pick up the baby and willing aunts/uncles to play with the boys.  There was my mom to make meals and help pack everyone into the car.  At the end of the day, I didn't have a headache, I wasn't testy, and I wasn't counting the minutes until I could put the boys to bed.  In fact, I kept them up late more nights than not.  It was lovely to really enjoy all my children instead of feeling like all I'm doing is instructing and avoiding catastrophes all day.  Granted, they had a pool and beach at their disposal, new toys, interesting surroundings, which all worked to help them be on their best behavior, but it really was cool to see how much easier things are when you have a host of people who really love your kids helping you.  I can only imagine what it would be like to have it all the time, and what that would add to my childrens' personalities.  So count your blessings if you live near your family (yes, I understand that it probably comes with some difficulties) and if you don't, enjoy every minute that you get to spend with them.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer and could be part of that! I feel that way when i go to Mauritius to see my family...all my cousins have sets of clothes and toothbrushes etc at various family houses, and can go to my grandparents house to have a meal and end up spending the weekend!
    It's very good for them, but more importantly, it's good for you! It's good to be able to enjoy your kids, and not just parent them!
    Miss you (even the ones I haven't met yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back to Florida whenever you need some help and we'll be happy to be there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me cry with this one. I think I understand your pain more than most since I spent a lifetime away from my family raising you guys with the help of friends, not family. It was nice, but definitely not the same. I pray regularly that somehow God will work it out so that you could be closer and the boys could be around more often. We so thoroughly enjoyed having you all. You and Michael are doing an amazing job raising them. They are so well adjusted, happy, carefree, adorable children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know you'll be back.
    Next time I will be one of those villagers
    you speak of.

    Just keep breathing
    and smiling
    as oft' as you can.

    Training little ones
    is necessary work.
    You are blessed.

    {{* *}}

    ReplyDelete