Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I had a particularly bad day with Kai yesterday.  It seemed like I was disciplining him every five minutes, listening to nothing but whining or hostility from him.  After a particularly bad altercation around five o clock, I cried downstairs while he cried upstairs.  Because, let's face it moms, it really does hurt us more than it hurts them.  I HATE making him unhappy and there are many times I wish that I could just let him go.  Let him do whatever he wants, say whatever he wants, and be happy and awful.  But I don't because I love him.  So I started thinking of my mom and how many times she probably had to cry after dealing with me on my bad days.  Well that made me think about that fact that I don't remember any bad days.  In fact, I could only recall maybe three actual disciplinary actions though I KNOW there were many more.  Especially when I was Kai and Lake's age and still in the training process.  So why don't I remember them?  Well, I guess they weren't very traumatic.  When I think of childhood memories, I feel happy.  I think of laughter, of my dad on the floor playing crab, my mom playing hide and seek, I remember going to church together, and always dinner time around the table.  Why do I remember these things?  I guess it's what, in my young mind, made up the best parts of my days.  So the only thing I can hope, is that my children will also think back and remember only the happy memories, and these days that I find particularly bad, will work to strengthen his character and instruct him, but won't be the things he remembers about childhood.  Therefore, on this mother's day, I'd like to say thank you mom, for doing it right.  I hope I've learned enough from you to do it right too.

No comments:

Post a Comment